*This article will help you avoid wasting time visiting a million different websites and provide all of the nuts and bolts of travel hack so you can get started today.
You know the Story of the Tortoise and the Rabbit. In this Adventure tale the Tortoise wins in the end due to prolonged effort. The Rabbit could easily win due to his speed but he became overconfident and took too many risks.
Sometimes speed doesn’t matter over prolonged efforts over time.
Similarly the race to earn free travel ticket can take two approaches, with speed and prolonged efforts.
Difference is, implementing both the strategies is the key to rack up the chances of free travel. Becoming both a Tortoise and a Rabbit allows you the maximum benefits.
Approach 1: Earning the miles. The Old Fashioned way.
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.”
This is true and applies in our life too. It’s never too late to start.
“Miles” are like reward points for airline companies. You Book a flight and they award you with Reward Points. You need to sign-up with the airline companies and get a frequent flyer number. It’s like a membership with the airline. And its free to register with them. But the Question arises – Do I have to spend a lot on tickets to get a free ticket? Probably yes, and there are other ways too. Read more…
Though Air India’s Flying return program offers limited ways to earn miles which is restricted to Fly and earn.
Good news is Jet Airway’s JetPrivilege program offers many ways of earning the miles even if you dont fly. And Its Easy.
With JetPrivilege you can earn miles through writing reviews, hotel bookings, shopping, renting cars and much more. Get the full list here.
Approach 2: Credit card rewards
Yes, even credit card rewards can reward you with a free flight.
I’ll admit, it’s sort of boring to read about credit cards (yuck!). Why is it important? This is, by far, the fastest way to earn free flights, hotel rooms and other travel related goodies.
If you want to get off to the races fast, the only way to earn tens of thousands of miles for free flights without having to sit on hundreds of hours of flights is to sign up for credit cards that offer bonus miles or points.
Credit card companies get a new customer, and you get free flights or rewards.
Many Credit Card companies have tied up with airline companies to offer you the travel card, and offer you 1 RP = 1 mile.
SBI’s Air India card and HDFC’s JetPrivilege card are among the popular ones.
If you are currently carry a credit card and it doesn’t earn you any rewards points you are wasting a huge opportunity.
Living in the India, options are nearly Limited when it comes to rewards credit cards.
If there is a card in your wallet that gets used and does not benefit you in some way, it’s time to pay it off, cut that sucker up and sign up for a card that actually benefits you.
However, by signing up for multiple credit cards, spending and transferring points you can rack up hundreds of thousands of miles and save big time money on flights, consumer goods, hotels, sports tickets, and pretty much anything you can think of.
You could google search travel credit card right now read every blog post, review and website on the net to find out which credit cards are the best but I’ll save you the time.
The Best Travel Rewards Card To Get
Annual Fees – 3,000 Rs
Interest Rate – A variable interest rate ranging between 37.20% and 42.00% per annum.
Welcome Offers – 10,000 Miles with your first spend of 1,000 Rs using your Citibank PremierMiles Card within 60 days of Card issuance, 3,000 Miles on every subsequent annual card renewal.
Miles Earn Rate
- Earn 10 Miles per ₹100 spent on all airline transactions
- Earn 4 Miles for every Rs.100 spent on all other transactions
- Free Airport lounge access
- Evergreen Miles that never expires
- 24×7 SMS tracking of your Reward Points.
Annual Fees – 3,500 R
Interest Rate – 40.2% per annum
Welcome Offers – 5,000 Reward points
Miles Earn Rate
- One reward point for every 40 Rs spent or 2.5 points for 100 Rs.
- Five times the earn rate for spends on domestic flight bookings.
- Ten points for every 40 Rs spent on platinum partner.
- Spend 1.9 lakh in a year and get up to two free return IndiGo Flight tickets.
- On spending 4 lakh, you can get four free flights plus vouchers worth 10000 Rs from Taj Group
- Zero lost card liability.
- Enjoy benefits on your travel bookings with MakeMyTrip.com
Annual Fees – 9,999 Rs
Interest Rate – 23.88% per annum
Welcome Offers – 10,000 bonus review points
Miles Earn Rate
- Four reward points for every 150 Rs spent or 2.66 points for 100 Rs.
- Double the reward points on flight, hotel and movie ticket booked using HDFC credit card website.
- Complimentary Airport Lounge Access through Priority Pass Membership
- Complimentary Club Vistara Silver membership
- Lowest Foreign Currency Mark-up Fee of 2% on international transactions
Annual Fees – 3,500 Rs
Interest Rate – 41.75% per annum
Welcome Offers – Welcome bonus 5,000 Miles
Miles Earn Rate
- 4 Miles for every Rs. 200 of eligible spends
- 20 Miles for every Rs. 200 for spends on movie bookings
- Your Miles never expires
- Bill payment from any bank account
- Fuel surcharge waiver
Annual Fees – 2,500 Rs
Interest Rate – 23.88 % per annum
Welcome Offers – One complimentary Jet Airways Ticket (Base Fare Waived), avail up to 10,000 Bonus Miles, enjoy discount voucher worth Rs.750 when booking a return ticket on the Jet Airways website.
Miles Earn Rate
- Earn 6 JPMiles on every Rs. 150 spent on retail expenses with your JetPrivilege HDFC Bank World Credit Card
- Earn 18 JPMiles on every Rs 150 spent on every flight ticket booked on jetairways.com
- Avail of a 5% discount on all domestic air ticket (revenue flights) bookings, made on jetairways.com by entering the promo code JTHDFC in the promo field on the website.
- Enjoy premier check-in for all domestic flights of JetAirways
- Benefit from a 10 kg additional baggage allowance on all domestic JetAirways
- Fuel Surcharge Waiver capped at Rs. 500 every billing cycle
PS: JetPrivilege even Allow you to convert Debit card’s Reward points into miles too.
The Final Word
It’s worth noting that when rewards points are used for miles for ‘free’ flights you may be still be responsible for paying taxes and fees. However this cost is minimal.
Sure, all of the tracking, spending and applying for cards or mileage points can be a bit tedious.
However, when the time comes to book a flight and rewards points land you halfway across the world for virtually nothing, the minor effort is more than worth it.
Sit back, smile and enjoy your Travel Hack-free flight. Safe travels my friend.
What do you think about Travel Hack? Do you have any tips or strategies? Leave comments below.